Monday 20 October 2014

Currently in October


Where has the time gone? I could have sworn I did a currently post for September but apparently not! I feel like I haven't spent enough time on this little blog but I'm so crazy busy I never seem to find a moment spare for anything let alone blogging. When people say that the PGCE year will be the busiest (and most stressful) year of your life they really weren't exaggerating, it's far worse than A Levels or third year. I've never had so much to do and so little time to do it in before. However, it is so fulfilling at the same time and I've really enjoyed it so far. We started our school placements a couple of weeks ago, just 2 days a week so far, and being with the children makes it all worth it. That all said, here is what I have been doing when I do find the time...

Reading...

A book which at times feels rather uncomfortable, particularly now that I'm at school, Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. It is a challenging topic and can be very disturbing at times but Nabokov writes so subtly and humorously that it is almost possible to miss the unsettling evidence of what is truly taking place in the story. He constructs the character of Humbert so carefully and cleverly that it is impossible not to see some of society in him, it raises a number of interesting issues with the sexualisation of children and the uncomfortable attitude society has towards teenage girls. I have almost finished reading it and I think my next novel choice will have to be a little lighter in subject!

Listening to...

James Vincent McMorrow's album Post Tropical which is great to work to with its calming tones and its gentle melodies. I find his voice has a haunting quality and I can sit and listen to him sing for hours.

Watching...

Now that the Great British Bake Off has come to an end I feel a little lost when it comes to watching TV. It's quite possibly my favourite programme of the entire year and I miss it already (no this is not hyperbole). I'm very much enjoying Educating the East End on Channel 4 and I have high hopes that it will help change and improve people's views on teachers, even if only of secondary teachers. It goes a long way towards illustrating just how hard (good) teachers work and how challenging the profession actually is.

Loving...

My cycle to school in the morning. Cycling home always feels much faster - who knows why journeys back seem to go by quicker? Often it can be a bit of a drag to have to get on the bike early in the morning to head to work but I have such a pretty cycle route for the most part that I really enjoy it. I'm trying to make the most of it while it is still light enough to go that way because, as there are no street lights for a large chunk of it, when the clocks go back I will have to resort to going via the main roads.

Dreaming of...

Christmas. I am not even ashamed to admit it. As soon as it begins to get dark quicker in the evenings and the temperature increasingly starts to drop I cannot help but start to dream of Christmas and all of its wonders. It is probably what gets me through the chilly month of November and from the 1st of December I allow myself endless indulgence in all things Christmassy, especially carols!

What have you been up to in the month of October? Are you feeling as insanely busy as I do right now? There must be others who start to think about Christmas wistfully this early too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment